Chelsea Heads to FA Cup Final as Tottenham Edges Out Man City

Chelsea booked an FA Cup final date with Arsenal after beating Southampton 2-0 in Sunday’s first semifinal, while Tottenham won a tight second game 1-0 against Manchester City.

The final is scheduled to be played at Wembley on May 27, but the Football Association must now find a new date after the Premier League fixtures on that weekend were moved because of clashes with the UEFA Champions League and Europa League finals.

Cesar Azpilicueta headed Chelsea into the lead in the first half, and Olivier Giroud scored his fourth goal of the competition in the second period as Antonio Conte’s side reached their sixth FA Cup final of this century.

Tottenham will make their 11th FA Cup final appearance after Son Heung-min’s first-half goal took them past City, who had Gabriel Jesus sent off for two bookings just before halftime at Wembley.

Spurs have not won a trophy since 2008 when they beat Chelsea 2-1 in the League Cup final.

By: Jules Boyle

Chelsea’s Cesar Azpilicueta scored in the 24th minute at Wembley Stadium, and his side held on for a 1-0 victory over Manchester United to advance to the FA Cup final.

The game was originally scheduled to be played on April 21 but was moved to Saturday after United advanced to the UEFA Champions League semifinals earlier this week. United will now face Chelsea in the second match of a two-day “Final Four” event at Wembley next Saturday. The Blues will take on Manchester City in the first match of the day, with City beating Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 in their semifinal last week.

Chelsea has won the FA Cup five times since 2000, while United hasn’t lifted the trophy since 2004. The London side had not beaten United this season prior to Saturday’s win, losing twice in Premier League play and drawing once.

Chelsea survived a first-half onslaught from Manchester United to reach the FA Cup final with a 1-0 win at Wembley Stadium on Saturday. The Blues were able to hold firm despite being under the cosh for long periods, and they took the lead on 30 minutes as Olivier Giroud’s cross was converted by midfielder Ander Herrera.

Chelsea will now meet Arsenal in the final at Wembley, with the Gunners having defeated league champions Manchester City 2-0 in Saturday’s other semi-final clash.

United had gone into the game as favourites based on their recent form and their impressive record against Chelsea this season, but it was the Blues who started brightly as United goalkeeper David de Gea was forced into a smart save early on.

But after that initial scare, United took control of proceedings as Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial both went close before Herrera put through his own net from Giroud’s flick on.

The goal appeared to buoy Antonio Conte’s side, however, as they were able to stem the tide of United attacks. Nemanja Matic then came close to doubling Chelsea’s advantage just before half time, when he fired just over De Gea’s crossbar after good work by Eden

The FA Cup final between Chelsea and Arsenal has been moved to Saturday, May 27 after a police request.

The match was scheduled for May 20, but the fixture has now been changed to avoid a clash with other events in London, including the Championship play-off final at Wembley and the Premiership rugby union final at Twickenham.

A statement from the Football Association said: “We fully understand and respect the advice given to us by the Metropolitan Police and the decision that had to be made.”

It continued: “We remain committed to staging an exciting FA Cup final on 27 May”

The change means that Everton, who finished fifth in the Premier League, can no longer qualify for next season’s Europa League.

The Toffees will now have to await confirmation of where they stand in Uefa’s coefficient rankings before learning their fate.

Everton had hoped that victory over Manchester City in their semi-final would have seen them finish sixth and qualify for the Europa League if Liverpool beat Chelsea in Saturday’s Champions League final.

The FA Cup final between Arsenal and Hull City has been postponed due to heavy rain. The match was scheduled for Saturday at Wembley Stadium in London.However, the FA announced that the game would be played on Sunday at 3 p.m. local time (10 a.m. ET).The decision to move the game comes after several days of rain in the UK caused flooding in parts of London and the Midlands, including areas near Wembley Stadium.The FA said it is “in constant contact” with both clubs and that it is “very mindful” of fans who have traveled to the stadium.”We are very mindful of those supporters who have already made travel arrangements to attend the game,” said Alex Horne, general secretary of the FA.”With this in mind, we will make every effort to ensure they are able to be part of what is a special day for everyone involved in English football. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused but would like to stress that this has been a decision based on safety reasons alone.”

The first FA Cup final was held in 1872 and is one of the biggest sporting events in Britain. It is considered by some to be England’s most prestigious football tournament.

Fulham will play in the Premier League next season after a 4-0 win over Brentford.

The Cottagers have been promoted to the top flight for the first time since 2000 and will join Leeds, who secured promotion earlier on Saturday.

Thomas Frank’s Bees, who finished third and reached the Championship playoff final for the first time, were outclassed at Wembley as goals from Joe Bryan (twice), Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ivan Cavaleiro helped Scott Parker’s side return to the top flight.

“We’re going up! We’re going up!” sang Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak, while captain Tom Cairney spoke of his relief to get over the line after a difficult season which has seen Parker take charge after Claudio Ranieri was sacked.

“It’s been an up-and-down season,” Cairney told Sky Sports. “The manager coming in has changed things around but we’ve stuck together and got what we deserved.”

The FA Cup final will be played in August for the first time ever after English soccer’s governing body confirmed that the 2020 edition of the world’s oldest national cup competition will take place on Saturday, Aug. 1.

The two-month delay to the competition, which is usually played at the end of May, is due to the coronavirus-enforced lockdown that has gripped England since mid-March and forced a pause to professional soccer matches in this country until at least July 1.

The 2019-20 FA Cup semifinal ties between Arsenal and Manchester City and Chelsea and Manchester United were played last weekend as scheduled but had been pencilled in to be completed by June 29—the day before that year’s final was originally scheduled to take place. It was thought that if it proved impossible to resume domestic soccer by then, those ties would have had to be scrapped altogether.

However, with Premier League teams set to return to training this week ahead of the resumption of competitive matches next month, the FA was able to confirm a new date for this season’s showpiece event.

That will see a single-match format maintained for the first time since 2012—previous years have seen two semifinals played before a final

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.